Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chillin' Out with Chuck

Truffle salted popcorn, wild mushroom pate with walnut leek topping, tomato tart and Chuck roast sliders...delightful gems of slow roasted beef with caramelized-pickled onions, arugula and provolone. Ummm. Yes, please.

I'm sorry Peet and Starbuck but everyone knows that Chuck's choice of illy Italian coffee is the best in town and the "My uncle Charles' den" atmosphere is hard to pass up. Including the indoor shuffleboard

A few months ago I saw a liquor license permit in his window and wondered what Chuck was up to. Irish coffees perhaps for those of us wishing for more than just a morning kick?

Oh no something much better. I was going to chill out with Chuck.



Realizing that today was Thursday, I sauntered across the street to partake and to support my favorite coffee man in his new venture of vinified delights.

With garage door up and breezes gently wafting throughout Chuck has made happy hour into something inviting and delightful, more akin to hanging out on your favorite neighbor's back porch than your normal crush of humanity trying to get that last order of $3 calamari in before they close the menu and it goes back to $11.

This is about neighborly greetings, and a sunny spot under a red canvas umbrella where you can sip the end of the day away and wonder if working from home tomorrow will sit with the boss.

As I ponder my "work from home" reasons for tomorrow, I watch the trimet riders with palms and noses pressed to the windows as they go by. And you know what they're asking themselves. Chuck sells wine? Yes, he does my friend...yes he does.

I know Chuck would say this is just an experiment, something he's trying on...keeping it on the DL. Well, Chuck here's a news flash...this is your first foray into full on bistro hood whether you like it or not, your public will revolt if you end this. We'll storm the doors with our Nordic walking poles and our Smith and Hawken spades and hula hoes and we will brandish them in a seriously irritated fashion...so it's clear that we want pate, olives and Pinot Gris every day. Not just 3 days a week during happy hour.

You are on notice, sir.

As I enjoyed mon plat du fromage with a well appointed selection of cheeses, marcona almonds and reduced balsamic vinegar, I watched the tables fill one by one and as each one filled, someone at this table knew someone at that and before they knew it the patio had morphed into a large communal table, everyone chatting, laughing and recalling the last time they met.

Here's a gander of what I enjoyed...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment