Saturday, October 23, 2010

First stop in Paris

I arrived a couple of hours ago but that was consumed by passport stamping, baggage collection and navigating the train to the Gare du Nord. This was followed by the cab ride with the cabbie more interested in using my iPad map of Paris than actually driving me to the apartment. I didn't
mind, it was funny to watch.

It's cold. I mean see your breath cold. The sun was coming out while on the train, so I was holding out hope...but the clouds have moved in and a soft rain is falling. I ventured out, appropriately hooded ready to attack the city. For the first few blocks there was nary a soul about, it's noon, maybe the rain is keeping everyone inside.

The Marais is a very interesting place. It is the hub of the Jewish community here as well as the center of gay Paree. Hence, you find yourself walking past hassidic Jewish families followed by some of the most beautiful men you've ever seen...they're gay, and they're stunning. *sigh*

I found a little cafe (and it is hard to choose because they're on every corner) called appropriately enough, Le Bistrot.

It is commandeered, and I mean that seriously, by a very affable man who looks like Gerard Depardieu's thinner twin with really bad teeth. He is the antithesis of all you expect in Paris. He is loud, domineering, cheerful and would be very well suited owing a deli in Brooklyn.

I ordered a pichet of the sancerre rouge and the bruschetta "quattro stagione" which we all know is Italian, but it said it had cheese and roasted red peppers, grilled artichokes and forest mushrooms, so I said, "yes, please."

What arrived is something we don't have in the US which is a cross between bruschetta and pizza...I mean it WAS a bruschetta, but it was as big as a pizza. All fire grilled and delicious. When it arrived I said, "c'est très grand" (it's really big) to which Gerard's twin said, "mais, bien sur" (but, of course)

The cheese was gooey, the artichokes were smokey and the forest mushrooms were the ones that mice use as umbrellas in children's books. Tiny, delicate and adorable. And yes, I ate the whole thing.
Bruschetta Quattro Staggione
After I arrived, the place filled up. Which I'm pretty sure was a result of others on the street seeing me enter the premises. (or not) and then almost as quickly, everyone was done and it was empty again.

It looks like the rain is slowing a bit...I'm making my way toward Notre Dame to spend some quality time with Our Lady...

A la prochaine (until next time)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment